Sunday 16 January 2022

Wolves of the Calla / Stephen King

 

3 out of 5 stars

3 stars. I liked it. Mr. King certainly knows how to craft a story that makes me want to read to the end, despite the fact that I'm not sure why he wrote it. It is such an odd mishmash of details, many of which I feel he finally figured out how to tie together here in the fifth volume.

I'm also not a big fan of the horrible details, like Susannah/Mia feeding the “chap.” Although I wouldn't call this series horror, it has its gruesome details. I do admit that the references to Harry Potter did make me snigger a bit, though. My other complaint is the length of these books. Surely they could be pared down? However, I know that many people revel in the long reading experience and wallow in all the details, so my view is just my own.

I have two books remaining to read and I hope to get to them in the months to come. I'm stubborn enough that I want to know what happens, what else King has up his sleeve. I recognize his skill, I just wish he wrote about things that I care about more. I kind of wish I was a fan girl—the fans seem to enjoy themselves so much!

Book Number 437 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment