Monday 15 February 2021

False Value / Ben Aaronovitch

 

False ValueFalse Value by Ben Aaronovitch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Obviously, I wouldn't be reading book 8 of this series if I didn't seriously enjoy Peter Grant and his magickal London. I even spent my own moolah to buy a copy to permanently accession into my personal library.

I understand Peter moving in with Beverley, he bloody better if she's expecting his twin children. But I do miss the Folly, Toby, Molly, and more downtime with Nightingale. Aaronovitch has developed so many characters that I'm fond of that he can't possibly shoehorn them all into every book he writes, so I am getting used to enjoying them when they do appear. However Peter retains his cheeky outlook on policing and I enjoy his observations on humanity.

Do I perhaps detect a desire in Nightingale to retire? Please, Ben, say it ain't so! How can magical crime be fought without the Nightingale to back up our brash Peter? Unfortunately for me, things will be very different soon, since Bev can't stay pregnant forever and those twins will change Peter's life in oh so many ways.

It seems that this book is setting up a new story arc to be the scaffolding for the next books. At least I'm hoping that's the plan. Developments that I would like to see include more of the Guleed/Michael relationship, more Molly if there's a way to accomplish that, more than a scant paragraph about Toby, and maybe Bev's mother inspecting those twins, with complications ensuing. My copy of The October Man has just arrived in the mail, so that will keep me going, along with Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection, until such time as the new Abigail adventure is fully cooked.

I'm relieved that Mr. Aaronovitch has recovered from his bout of Covid-19 and wish him good heath and good writing!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment