Wednesday 14 October 2020

Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men / Molly Harper

 

Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men by Molly Harper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 RE-READ

πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ
I’m upgrading my evaluation of this book to a full, happy four stars. It has helped me regain my joy in reading this month. When I've turned reading into a job instead of a joy, it's time to break out the urban fantasy!

I adore Molly Harper's sense of humour. I love a snarky, smart-ass main character and with Jane Jameson I get that in spades. Jane is just too intrinsically good to make a scary vampire. She's still mostly a neurotic, well read children's librarian with a cadre of fun friends. Zeb, the kindergarten teacher who is marrying Jolene, a werewolf with a large, overbearing family. Jane's boyfriend, Gabriel, who I like much more during this second reading. His vampire frenemy, Dick, who earns a dodgy living but loves the ladies. Andrea, human blood donor, who is being pursued by tricky Dick. Aunt Jettie, ghost in Jane's old Southern home. Mr. Wainwright, Jane's boss at the occult bookstore.

Jane may be a trifle more obsessive about relationships than I would like her to be, but I really wouldn't change her. After all her obsessiveness is one of her charms. She has made me into a happy reader once again. Thank you, Jane, and thank you Molly Harper. πŸ’œ



ORIGINAL REVIEW

I would actually rate book two of the Jane Jameson series as a 3.5 star, rather than four star, if I had the choice. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as book 1. Still a very enjoyable read and came very close to being as much fun as the first book.

I have to laugh at Jane’s mother and grandmother who both seem to believe that marriage and children are the only worthwhile things in a woman’s life. I’ve had to put up with a fair bit of that attitude myself and I love that Jane’s not taking it sitting down. On this note, I loved the Titanic themed wedding planned by Jolene, Zeb’s fiancΓ©e. I only hope that the marriage doesn’t suffer the same fate as the ship.

I also appreciate the circle of friends that Jane is building (view spoiler) I get a kick of out of her vampire buddy Dick Cheney (much less scary that the politician) and I have a hunch that there are more werewolves in Jane’s future. Looking forward to some more information on Gabriel, who is acting entirely too much like human males do with his disappearing and refusal to talk about certain subjects, like where he’s been. Frankly, Dick may be the one on the sketchy side of the law, but he is seeming like the more honest guy.

Unfortunately, the “mystery” of what is wrong with her BFF Zeb is overly transparent and Jane’s brainy-girl status is threatened by not putting the pieces together quicker. I’m still enjoying the snarky dialog, but it will get tiring in the third book if the plot doesn’t move along a little quicker.

Still, a very cute series. My problem may be that I’ve read books 1 & 2 too close together. I’ve got a little late summer urban fantasy extravaganza planned, but I’ll leave Harper’s books out of that mix for the time being. I really want to keep on enjoying them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment