Sunday 5 November 2023

You Can Hide / Rebecca Zanetti

 

3 out of 5 stars

I don't get exactly why this author's books appeal to me so strongly. I like this series the best of the ones that I've sampled, which is odd since I'm not usually a fan of thrillers like this. But I'm hooked and will definitely read the third novel.

At least the author has provided interesting characters and plot lines in this series. She has a very definite pattern of highly intelligent and striking women being matched with blue collar men. These male characters are very bossy, protective, physically powerful, and mean well towards the women. But they are overbearing and getting them to listen to the women's opinions is a challenge. Her female characters are portrayed as generally okay with this, although there are some struggles to establish boundaries.

I think the inclusion of a maybe psychopathic half-sister to Laurel Snow gives this series more interest. Abigail is a potential threat to Laurel and her actions are difficult to predict. She is an interesting opponent and her focus on Laurel and Huck is rather threatening. Their father is still missing and Laurel suspects that Abigail may have had something to do with that. I hope this plotline will be resolved in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment