Saturday 18 November 2023

Taken at the Flood / Agatha Christie

 

2 out of 5 stars

I have never before said this of a Christie mystery: I am exceedingly glad it was short! I listened to the BBC production on an evening where I was disinclined to concentrate on the printed page, or I might not have finished the story at all. I found it most unbelievable and even rather offensive. That M. Poirot would interrupt a crime in progress without really attempting to stop it was bad enough, but then Christie had the audacity to have the wronged woman proceed with her marriage plans to the offender! It leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Add to that the poor French accent of the actor playing Poirot. I found that quite distracting. He often reverted to an English accent, quite unlike David Suchet, who portrayed Poirot with such skill and consistency.

I knew intellectually that Dame Agatha had written some stinkers, but this is my first encounter with one. As I said, thank goodness for brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment