Monday 2 October 2023

The Verifiers / Jane Pek

 

3 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

It's not a good sign when I have a hard time picking a book back up again after a break. And I think it's me, not the book. Pek has provided an interesting mystery, a young woman as a main character, and lots for her to investigate. A lot of the mysterious details revolve around the murky world of online dating apps. I expected to find it more exciting somehow, although I can't put my finger on exactly what I found off putting.

What bothers me is that I should have liked this more. Claudia, our main character and amateur sleuth, uses her knowledge of detective fiction to guide her investigation. Usually this would endear her to me, but I found it very difficult to care about her. She also seemed to plunge into things impulsively which just rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, for someone working in the matchmaking industry, she is remarkably clueless about people.

What can I say, beyond wishing that I liked the book more.

I read this to match the Free square on my bingo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment