Wednesday 18 October 2023

A Death at the Party / Amy Stuart

 

3.25 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

It was fortunate for me that my bingo card included the Thriller square, as this book was my mystery book club’s selection for October. Since I'm not usually a fan of the thriller genre, this chance to double dip was fortuitous. Even before it was chosen for book club it was on my list after hearing Amy Stuart interviewed on a favoured book show on CBC radio.

As this genre goes, I quite liked it, despite the fact that I had things figured out by about the 75% mark. We are shown the death at the book's beginning and then left to try to piece together who the unfortunate man might be. Stuart provides us with a plethora of choices, since there are very, very few men that Nadine Walsh likes. I couldn't blame her, the majority of the men in her life have been slimey. And yet she keeps them all around, inviting the whole crowd to her mother's birthday party. As her mother says about her, “Nadine likes to keep her friends close and her enemies closer.”

Gradually, Stuart spoons out the details. My main question during the novel revolved less around “Who's the dead guy?” and more around “What the hell is wrong with Nadine?” She's always tense and nervous, she's paranoid, she's controlling, she's prone to risky behaviour. Anyone of these things would be understandable, but the whole constellation make her a loose cannon, liable to go off any time. How does anyone think she's charming or even normal? And that question didn't feel completely answered, at least for me. Stuart left me wanting just a little bit more.

I read this book for the Genre: Thriller square on my bingo card and also for my mystery book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment