Saturday 12 August 2023

Alliance of Equals / Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

 

4 out of 5 stars

I seem to be doomed to reading this series out of order! I picked up this volume without checking, so it is my own fault. (It doesn't help that there are two orders, chronological and publication order, that one can choose to use.)

I was immersed in the affairs of the Dragon immediately and stayed up far too late last night striving to finish. I gave in at midnight, unable to keep my eyes open. This despite the fact that Shan and Priscilla are far from my favourite characters in this space opera and the trade aspect of Korval is of much less interest to me than pilot adventures. It was Shan's daughter Padi who captured my imagination. Lee and Miller are introducing the next generation of Korval, allowing my favoured characters to become elders and moving the focus to these youngsters. And these children have been affected by their time in hiding from the Department of the Interior, made too responsible, too adult, for their ages.

Padi has mistakenly assumed that she is the only one who fears the DOI, thinking that she is the only “coward" in the family. This is part of the reason why she has rejected her role as a dramliza, a witch, and has sealed her talents into an inner fortress. But we are what we are and our true selves will manifest. Can Padi embrace her true self or will she self-destruct?

Now I will return to the previous book. Thankfully Lee and Miller provide enough background that each book is comprehensible even if you muff the order!

Book number 499 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment