Sunday 5 March 2023

Mansfield Park / Jane Austen

 

4 out of 5 stars

This is the first Austen novel that I have struggled a bit with. At about the 40% mark, I felt bogged down. The younger folk being all involved in putting on a play? Yawn! I strongly considered throwing in the towel. I then read a few reviews by my friends to get a bit of insight into what others were finding to admire in the novel.

My friends sorted things out for me. I needed to keep in mind that Fanny might be the central character, but the book's title is Mansfield Park. It's the household that gets star billing. Fanny's situation gives me a new appreciation for the role of the “poor relation" in the upper classes. She is reasonably well treated, but is ever aware of her lowly status and must be alert to the events in the household. Secondly, one friend recommended repeating to myself, “This is not a romance novel.” A very helpful hint, as I expect a romantic plotline from Austen, but she has other fish to fry in Mansfield Park. So, don't get too fixated on Fanny or romance. Excellent advice. This is no gothic romance where the spunky poor relation gets swept up by a wealthy nobleman. Fanny is far from spunky and Edmund is incapable of sweeping any woman off her feet!

Once Sir Thomas was returned from Antigua and the theatrics were declared at an end, things picked up again. The final half of the book went quickly, quite a contrast to the speechifying and stage building that bogged me down earlier. There were questions to be answered. Would Henry succeed in winning Fanny's regard, despite her obvious devotion to her cousin Edmund. Would Edmund convince Mary to be his wife? Fanny, who has been quietly observing everyone, has definite opinions on these matters.

In the end, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. However, I confess to still prefering Sense and Sensibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment