Tuesday 13 December 2022

The Lost Child of Lychford / Paul Cornell

 

4 out of 5 stars 

Although this tale takes place at Christmas, it is not really what I think of as a Christmas story. On the other hand, telling stories of the supernatural during the shortest and darkest days of the year has been going on a long, long time.

Our three witches, Lizzie, Autumn, and Judith, must save their town (and likely humanity and Christmas to boot). They have found an uncomfortable way of relating since the close of the first book. Judith has apprenticed Autumn and Autumn has hired Judith to work in her magic shop. Neither is the boss all of the time, which makes them both cranky. Lizzie is trying to maintain her friendship with both of them without compromising her Christian faith. When a ghost boy appears to Lizzie in her church, she heads directly to the magic shop to consult on the matter.

Perhaps this was not as gripping as the first installment or perhaps I was in a different headspace—I certainly know that the last three years have destroyed a lot of my concentration and that interferes with my ability to appreciate what I read. However, I still enjoyed it very much and will likely read the following Lychford books.

No comments:

Post a Comment