Sunday 13 November 2022

The Dangers of Dating Rebound Vampire / Molly Harper

 

3 out of 5 stars

The last Molly Harper book that I read (Better Homes and Hauntings) had a teaser chapter for this book in the final pages. That story was a ghost story and I felt that it came up short in the humour department for a Molly Harper novel. So I impulsively requested this book, hoping to recapture my love of Harper's fiction. Unfortunately that didn't quite work out as planned.

This isn't a bad book nor is it without humour. You can hear the “but" coming, can't you? Gigi is very young and has very little life experience. I didn't see what interest she would hold for a centuries old man. Another reservation: the obstacles to true love are awfully easily overcome. There's no real struggle here. The worst thing Gigi must deal with is an overprotective family. (That family includes, of course Jane Jameson and Dick Cheney [not that one] which is a check on the pro side of the chart.)

I also find myself rolling my eyes at the “together forever" assumptions. Just find “your" vampire and eternity is all wrapped up. This is the whole "happily ever after" notion taken to ridiculous lengths. If you've got forever, that's a lot of time to get on each other's nerves or get bored. So another tick on the con side.

So, will I read the next volume in the series? Well, Harper ends this book with a change in Dick and Jane's positions in the vampire hierarchy and I might just read on to see what happens with that. Will they finally make Dick go legit? Or wear something besides t-shirts with offensive captions on them? At least board meetings should be more entertaining. I guess the answer is yes, I'll be reading on.

No comments:

Post a Comment