Sunday 13 November 2022

And Then There Were Nuns / Kylie Logan

 

4 out of 5 stars

Since I just did a re-read of Christie's And Then There Were None, I figured it was an excellent time to follow up with this cozy mystery. If a mystery can be called cozy when nuns are getting bumped off. I was glad to have the Christie original in mind, as Logan very skillfully works details from it into her novel.

I was a trifle disappointed that the group of librarians staying at Bea's bed and breakfast didn't play a larger part in the unraveling of the plot, as I worked in a library for most of my career and always felt that many library employees would make good detectives. They did notice some unusual behaviour that tipped me off about part of the answer. After the first reveal, however, the second was pretty obvious. Still, adjusting the details of And Then There Were None to suit a retreat for 10 nuns provided plenty of entertainment.

There are several revelations not related to the mystery. Bea confesses her true story of why and how she came to the island. We find out the real story of Levi too. Bea does not react well to that, despite her strong attraction to the guy. In addition to those details, Chandra starts acting more weird than usual, seemingly trying to pick fights with the other members of the League of Literary Ladies. We have to wonder what's up with that?

There is only one more volume to the series, which I suspect will wrap up all the loose ends and tie them in a bow. I must confess that I will be sad to finish, as I truly enjoy the Ladies, their friendship, their book club, and their crime fighting escapades. I think I will save that final book for when I need something special for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment