Sunday 8 August 2021

The Way of the Gardener / Lyndon Penner

4 out of 5 stars


 Lyndon Penner is well known to people who listen to CBC radio. He always provided fun and humorous information about gardening. I don't have a yard or garden, but I still enjoyed his radio segments because he was just so charming and amusing. Since he's moved back to Saskatchewan we've missed his words of wisdom.

 When one of my BFFs informed me that he'd written a memoir about walking the Camino de Santiago, I went directly to our library website and placed a hold. It is a measure of his enduring popularity that I had to wait several months to get my hands on it. I was surprised by its size (quite small) but pleased by the attractive cover and illustrations.

If you are a naturalist, a gardener, or a botanist, this is the Camino memoir for you. Penner regales the reader with all kinds of fascinating botanical information (olive trees can't withstand temperatures below -10C, zinnias are named after a Mr. Zinn, figs are pollinated by tiny wasps). His genuine love of plants of all shapes and sizes is infectious. I have zero desire to hike this trail, but if I had to do it, I would want someone like him along with me. (He states flatly that once was enough for him, so that's my excuse to stay home.)

Not a book that will appeal to everyone, but certainly I can recommend it to gardeners and fans of Mr. Penner.


No comments:

Post a Comment