Monday 2 August 2021

Death With a Dark Red Rose / Julia Buckley

 

***2021 Dog Days of Summer***

It's time for my summer theme and this year I have chosen to read books that include canine companions. This was the latest volume of the Writers Apprentice Mystery series, which includes two German Shepherds, Heathcliff and Rochester. They get to do their usual guard duty and Rochester gets to go on a clandestine vet visit in the name of surveillance.

I have no idea if Julia Buckley plans to write more of these small town mysteries, but I do hope she will. I've enjoyed four of them this summer and even when read in fairly quick succession I didn't find them to be repetitive. Buckley has more than one or two plot lines, unlike some cozy writers who seem to recycle their plot details through every book. I was pleasantly surprised by the links that she wrote here between Camilla Graham, her senior novelist character, and Miss Marple.

Having said that I'll gladly read more installments of the series, I would also understand if the author ended right here. She's got everybody in the Scooby gang matched up successfully and in relatively happy places. This could be a natural stopping point.

If you enjoyed this book, might I suggest The Readaholics and the Falcon Fiasco by Laura Disilverio and the Murder-by-Month series by Jess Lourey.
 

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment