Thursday 12 August 2021

The Man in the Queue / Josephine Tey

 

4 out of 5 stars


I enjoyed this mystery a great deal, despite the fact that I would never have guessed the murderer in a hundred years! Tey managed to lead me astray remarkably easily and I don't think she gave me enough clues to triangulate properly. But it was still an amusing story and it aroused my desire to read more of her mysteries.

I couldn't help comparing Inspector Alan Grant with my beloved Constable Peter Grant, having just finished The Hanging Tree. Alan Grant is a gentleman, he has an income and doesn't really need to work. He's looked up to and regarded as having “flair.” Unlike my Peter who is mixed race, gets called upon to help with his dad's dental bills, and has a reputation for destruction. Both of them do have a nose for the story of the crime, however, and a love of policing in London.

I was highly amused by the Scottish nurse, Miss Dinmont, called Dandie Dinmont. I imagine Tey named her after the breed of small Scottish terrier on purpose. They are known as being tough but friendly, as was our nurse.

Josephine Tey, it was lovely to meet you! I hope we will meet again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment