4 out of 5 stars
***2026 Summer of Sightseeing from my Sofa***
When I was planning a travel theme for this summer, I thought why not read one of the earliest travelogues, Homer's The Odyssey? Little did I know that I would be competing with adventurous movie goers who decided to read it either before or after seeing this year's film.
The introduction was so informative, with notes on the history of the tale and how it came to be a written document rather than only an oral tradition. I am reasonably sure that I read a different translation back in the early 1980s while studying classics at university but I remembered very few details. I was entranced by this new translation with its graceful phrasing and beautiful vocabulary.
This is really many stories strung together like a necklace. As a child, I read a lot of Greek mythology books and I was pleased to meet up again with some old friends. Bits and pieces of The Odyssey were packaged as something short-story-like and suitable for children and provided by the extension librarian. I had no idea back then of how well educated in classical knowledge I would be! This translation was very readable. I was pulled into the tale immediately and enjoyed it. I was also reminded of how different the worldview of the Ancient Greeks was from a 21st century North American.

No comments:
Post a Comment