Saturday 21 September 2024

Many Bloody Returns

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

This was a fun short story collection suitable for birthday reading. I enjoyed all the stories, but the highlights for me were the ones by P.N. Elrod, Tanya Huff, and Rachel Caine. For some reason, vampire tales delight me and these have the perfect mix of humanity and the supernatural. All of the authors found interesting things for their characters to be doing, none of it run-of-the-mill. I love Elrod's Jack Fleming, who is willing to take on a séance charlatan to prevent him from taking advantage of a grieving woman. I was reminded that I need to get back to Huff's Blood series to enjoy more of Vicki Nelson’s adventures. Plus I am encouraged to start Caine's Morganville Vampires series, which she seems to have given some interesting boundaries in addition to the regular vampiric limitations.

Special applause for the final story, by Kelner, whose vampire character, Stella, gets to play Nancy Drew and find out who is buried in her grave. For a first vampire story, I found it very entertaining. Plus I loved the title: How Stella Got Her Grave Back.

A nice birthday treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment