Tuesday 11 October 2022

Amongst Our Weapons / Ben Aaronovitch

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

I love the London of Peter Grant and Thomas Nightingale. Yes, this is book nine and Aaronovitch trots out many of the characters that we have come to know and love. Peter's dad gets to play his trumpet, his mom gets to cook her blazing hot food for the house full of birthing guests. Foxes frolick through all of it. Zack gets invited to the “christening.” Guleed, Stephanopoulos, and Seawoll are all present and accounted for. Even Lesley shows up, but despite her mission, she shows she still has some fondness for her old friend Peter.

Some folks complain that “nothing much happens.” I guess dealing with an Angel of Death is nothing much? Making contacts to expand the Folly's sphere of influence is not important? (At one point, Beverley accuses Peter of being a compulsive networker). Expanding the family is always significant. But really, I just enjoy hanging out in magical London. Peter and companyl don't have to do much to entertain me.

I always appreciate Aaronovitch’s pop culture references and his amusing phrasing and word play. I learn a new British slang word or two with each installment. This was one of my selected birthday books and it was a good choice. Plus, it delightfully filled the Darkest London square of my Bingo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment