Thursday 14 October 2021

Migrations / Charlotte McConaghy

 

MigrationsMigrations by Charlotte McConaghy


I have no frickin’ idea how to rate this book. I kept putting off reading it until the very last days of my library loan. I've had the blasted book for 12 weeks. That's right, twelve. I can't renew it any more and it's due today. So, I hate feeling pressured to read something, but for some reason I was completely unwilling to return it unread. (Have I mentioned that I'm one of the most stubborn people that I know?)

This book is beautiful and ugly. It has all of the things that I should love: birds, travel, friendship, family, conservation, twists and turns. It has despair and hope. It's well written, revealing Franny gradually, not giving her secrets away too easily. McConaghy makes you work your way through the novel, scattering her bread crumbs strategically, luring the reader along.

If I had read this at a different time, I probably would have adored it. I still like it a great deal. I may reread it at some point in the future, when my memory of it has faded. Without the last few pages, it would have been depressing, as the world without wild birds and animals is not one I want to live in. I feel like we are headed for this future and I hope I don't live to see it. Thank you, Ms. McConaghy, for that last hopeful scene. I'm glad to have finished the book, which was both a pleasure and a struggle to read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment