Saturday 5 June 2021

Death in Dark Blue / Julia Buckley

 

Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)Death in Dark Blue by Julia Buckley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

***2021 Dog Days of Summer***

It's summer and this year I have chosen to read books that include canine companions. This series includes two German Shepherds, Rochester and Heathcliff. They don't feature as much here in book 2 as they did in the first volume, but they are still very much in evidence.

Cozy mysteries usually feature amateur sleuths who should really butt out of any murder investigation, but somehow Buckley makes Lena and Camilla more respectable than most cozy heroines. After all, it is this duo who manage to dredge up information on Sam's missing ex-wife that the FBI doesn't seem to be able to find. I think that was the most unrealistic part—imagining that you or I could find out more with Google than FBI analysts would be able to uncover.

Nevertheless, Buckley managed to managed to mess with my head enough that I started to doubt many of my previous conclusions! She toyed with my emotions mercilessly and even when the perpetrators were revealed, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Not many authors can shake my certainty like that. Not only that, she has set the hook--I'll be glad to read on to see where she takes Lena next. Though the big issues are resolved, there is something hinky going on with two newly introduced characters and I hope my suspicions will be addressed in book 3.

Like a combination of small town mysteries and a gothic romance, this is an entertaining series and I plan to binge it this summer.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment