Monday 4 January 2021

I Dare / Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

 

I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)I Dare by Sharon Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had meant to read this book later in the year, but I held it in my hands and couldn't resist the temptation to see what happened next. I'm so glad that I was able to indulge the desire.

This novel reads like a thriller, with the Clan Korval separated in space and time, with Plan B in effect, and many family members out of touch. We are quickly introduced to Val Con's cousin, Pat Rin, who never passed his pilot's exam, but is an excellent shot and a gambler of some note. We also meet Anthora, the family dramaliza or wizard, with freaky powers, living in the family house complete with magical Tree and some seriously spooky cats.

Pat Rin unexpectedly shows his genetic heritage in his response to the Department of the Interior. They manage to convince him that he may be the only living member of Clan Korval, leading him to retreat to a backwater planet and take it over. Surebleak is run by various gangs, some better than others but all brutal. Pat Rin moves in and uses his natural leadership skills to improve life on Surebleak for all its citizens.

Lee & Miller take all of the various plot lines that they have running and spin a coherent and gripping thriller out of them. I am always delighted when the Clutch, giant sentient turtles, feature in these novels, so having Edger and Sheather show up with a groovy spaceship carved out of an asteroid was a treat.

Now I truly must move on to other titles and series, but I have enjoyed this visit to Liad.

Book number 392 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment