4.25 out of 5 stars
The Extreme Pleasure of Reading a Fun Romance
A great follow-up to The Irresistible Urge to Fall For Your Enemy. I like this author's dedication to slow burn and unresolved sexual tension. I adore Osric Mordaunt, the Fyren assassin, who finds himself inexplicably happy, indeed even floaty, when he gets to spend time with healer Aurienne Fairhrim. And not just because she seems to be healing the seith rot condition that was killing him.
Osric is an assassin extraordinaire and occasional dickhead. Aurienne is a rather uptight goody-two-shoes healer. They are indeed star crossed lovers—who are quite determined to state that “This isn't love, dammit!” They are attempting to heal Osric's magical abilities in exchange for a donation to create a vaccine for a plague of pox. They are keeping it on the down low, however, so that Aurienne’s Order doesn't disown her. Also because they are using the Old Ways, which supposedly have been completely discredited. The two snark and whine at each other, but repeated full moon healing ceremonies are allowing them to get to know each other and grudgingly admit that it's not that bad.
Osric is an inspired creation. (Not sure what this says about me.) I tolerated Aurienne because he liked her. I also loved his pack of dogs: Rigor Mortis (Great Dane), Arson (retriever), Perjury and Forgery (border collies), Outraging Public Decency (bulldog; prolific farter), High Treason (borzoi) and Creme Brulee (whippet). Knightley's sense of humour meshes with mine perfectly. The couple's banter and their interior monologues were endlessly entertaining. The author uses the “one bed" trope exceedingly well. And that cover artwork! Gorgeous!
My only real complaint is that everything is so well wrapped up by the end of this book. I hate to see this end, but even slow burn romances must combust eventually and sexual tension must either resolve or snap. Although I am somewhat dismayed that there are only two books, let me state right now that I will gladly read whatever Ms. Knightley publishes next. She knows exactly what I like.

No comments:
Post a Comment