Sunday, 19 July 2026

Zoe's Tale / john Scalzi

 

3 out of 5 stars 

Book number 543 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

The plot of this novel runs concurrently with The Last Colony and is told by Zoe Perry, adoptive daughter of John and Jane Perry, administrators of the Roanoke colony. As a teenager, Zoe has a somewhat different view of events. She is growing into her role as person of intense interest to the race known as the Obin, who achieved consciousness due to research by her biological father.

As I knew from the previous book, Roanoke has been planned by the Colonial Union as a trap for the Conclave. Much of the book is taken up with getting people to Roanoke, being told that the colonists are not allowed to use their tech, and hiding from the Conclave's ships. Plus plenty of teenage stuff. Zoe is getting old enough to figure out what she really wants in the world and this charts her course as her colony comes under attack.

The presentation is totally Scalzi. His characters are usually far more rational than actual people and there is plenty of sarcastic banter. It's been long enough since I read the previous book that I didn't mind the repetition of plot points, but I can't say that I was blown away. It was nice to have a female protagonist (and that Scalzi consulted with women to make sure that he didn't get Zoe too wrong). But I feel like all of his main characters are pretty similar.

So this book fills in some of the gaps in the previous one and answers some readers' questions. By peeking ahead, I am hopeful that the next book will feature new characters and challenges. I have it from the library and will hopefully tackle it soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment