Thursday 17 October 2024

We Solve Murders / Richard Osman

 



3.5 out of 5 stars 

Halloween Bingo 2024

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this new offering from Richard Osman, seeing as it's not a Thursday Murder Club book. Would I like these new people? Would it be as much fun? I needn't have worried. They aren't quite as charming as the folks from Coopers Chase, but they have a brand new set of rather endearing quirks.

Steve is a retired policeman who is set in his habits and it's a chore to get him out of his comfortable rut. Rosie is a well known author who is willing to do all kinds of new things while spending lavishly to make them more to her taste and she has never met a drink she didn't like. Amy started out as Rosie's bodyguard, but has become an assassination target herself. When she needs help figuring out what's going on, she calls her father-in-law, Steve. Amy strongly believes that guns are the solution to all her problems (and maybe a bit of punching TBH). Between the three of them, they set out to investigate who is trying to frame Amy for murder and/or kill her.

I loved the way they relied on each other and just kept moving and investigating. Just like our team of good guys, there are equally quirky bad guys. Everyone is interesting and everyone has a story. Rosie can get people to talk, Steve can logic things out, and Amy can plan & act decisively. An excellent team.

The last chapter leaves little doubt that this will become a series. I'm sure I will read future volumes. But I don't feel the compulsion to own this novel, like I did with the Thursday Murder Club. Who knows? Perhaps my mind will change with the next volume.

I spent my Sleepy Hollow wild card to use this book to fulfill the In the Dark, Dark Woods square of my Halloween Bingo card.


No comments:

Post a Comment