Tuesday 15 October 2024

Knight in Peril / Alice Bienia

 

3.5 out of 5 stars 

Mystery Book Club 2024

From the very first pages, this novel racheted up my anxiety level. Although I have loved travel, I am very definitely a tour traveller. I have zero desire to be all on my own in an unfamiliar place. So Jorja's arrival in Istanbul with no friend waiting to greet her would be a nightmare for me. Realizing that her travel companion and BFF has gone missing adds a whole new layer of angst. I immediately knew that I would need to take frequent breaks while reading this book to soothe my own anxieties.

This is my worst nightmare in fictional form. Searching for a missing woman in a country where I do not know the language and where women's status is definitely second class. A country where the police are not inclined to care about foreigners. Far from friends and family, feeling extreme fear about Gabriella's situation, Jorja demonstrates far more bravery than I think I would. Although I've experienced challenges while outside Canada, nothing this serious has ever happened to me, thank the Goddess! I'll not complain about lost luggage or flight delays ever again.

I am now ready for book club tomorrow night. The author will be attending, so I hope to have some questions formulated for the event. October is evaporating on me and I still have a number of Halloween books to get to. Too bad I couldn't figure out a way to wiggle this book into that game.



No comments:

Post a Comment