Thursday 7 September 2023

Weyward / Emilia Hart

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

I love the Weyward/wayward word play, because the three women whose stories are related all choose to go their own way, not doing what men or society deem they ought. Despite being independent, they find themselves caught up in the wake of abusive men. I know that kind, I've watched sisters and cousins marry and divorce them. It seems that abusive men have radar for women with few defences. When there is abuse in your family, it feels familiar and its easy to be fooled into deceiving yourself. You find yourself making excuses for him, until the day when it suddenly dawns on you that you are permitting something that you shouldn't be. Then you get the hell out.

If there are no controlling men in your family, congratulations. You may not appreciate this book the way I do. (My grandfather got engaged to my grandmother, then went to a far off job until the wedding day. After which he revealed himself to be a hard, controlling man. He knew he couldn't maintain the nice-guy act until the wedding). So these story lines felt very real to me, and I sometimes was reluctant to read on, fearful of what would happen.

But I am pleased to report that I really liked the ending (for all three women).

I read this book to match Genre: Supernatural on my bingo card, as the Weyward women all seem to have witchy powers. And feast your eyes on that gorgeous cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment