Wednesday 29 December 2021

The Christmas Cookie Killer / Livia J. Washburn

 

2.25 stars out of 5

Recommended only for the most devoted fans of cosy mysteries. The usual tropes apply: small towns, old fashioned values, religious details, a very low key romantic element, lots of food description, plus a son involved in law enforcement. Most of the plot is paint-by-numbers, but the identity of the perpetrator surprised me mildly.

I picked this novel for its Christmas theme and so I don't feel like I can complain too much about the writing, but I found it to be quite boring. An awful lot of telling rather than showing, a really simple plot with no plausible red herrings, an easily resolved murder, figured out by an only mildly intelligent woman. Even her love interest is boring!

I guess I moved away from the small town for a reason! I don't live a wildly exciting life in the city either, but at least I have more to my existence than competing with a roommate over who bakes the best cookies. Thank the Goddess for small mercies!

No comments:

Post a Comment