Sunday 12 December 2021

Fuzz / Mary Roach

 

4 out of 5 stars

Mary Roach never fails to delight me, both because I appreciate her sense of humour and because I love the somewhat off-kilter way she follows her research program. The conflict between humans and other animals is a topic that I know a little bit about. I grew up on a farm, so I have some awareness of agricultural pests. Mostly insects, but occasionally ground squirrels. I spent some time doing conservation education at our local zoo, so I know all about the people who want to pave the planet at one end of the spectrum and the other extreme who find it outrageous that the owls get fed dead chicks. Apparently in captivity they should eat carrots or something?

I also live in a place where deer, moose, bears, and cougars are resident. There have been reports of all of these species within city limits of our one million plus community. Heck, there are plenty of coyotes and bobcats that live right in my inner city neighborhood. (I once saw a coyote waiting on a street corner until the walk light came on, then trot across six lanes of traffic, being ignored by people crossing the opposite direction). So some of Roach's research was familiar.

I was impressed by the variety of places she visited. India (elephants, monkeys, leopards), New Zealand (penguins plus a poison centre striving for a humane solution), the Vatican (laser bird deterrence) plus numerous parks, cities, landfills, forests, and a mouse breeding facility In North America. Her willingness to follow the next odd step in the pathway truly endears her to me. Who else would hear about gulls ravaging Easter floral displays in Vatican City and say to themselves, “Well, I guess that's where I must go next?”

I will tell you right now that you will never survive the zoo lunchroom if you can't handle talk about poop and animal sex while eating your sandwich (and snickering without spraying crumbs). Mary would fit right in and would probably ask fascinating questions. She'd leave with promises to introduce her to the guy who knows all about that. She must be quite charming, to talk her way into as many offices and conferences as she does, in addition to the persistence to phone and phone and phone until she wears down the recalcitrant.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Mary Roach, if you should ever find yourself in Calgary and would be willing to have coffee with one of your fans, message me. I'll be there with bells on!

No comments:

Post a Comment