Tuesday 16 November 2021

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? / Agatha Christie

 

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As usual, Ms. Christie led me a merry dance. Although I had my suspicions, she managed to distract me with well placed red herrings. Her two amateur sleuths, Bobby and Frankie, remind me a lot of another pair of Christie's, Tommy and Tuppence. Poor old Bobby even gets clonked on the head, just like Tommy.

Frankie, or Lady Frances if you prefer, is another one of Christie's adventurous young women who knows what she wants and sets out to get it. I love these books that feature intelligent young women, giving them the starring role. They are like a tonic after all the mystery novels that feature male protagonists. Frankie is a lively person, not letting the grass grow under her feet. She's pretty good at managing the men around her too, including Bobby, his pal Badger, and the family lawyer.

Christie also seems to have a reluctant admiration for the conscience-free criminal. She often allows them to escape justice and live to grift another day. My sister, who works in our provincial justice system, claims that only the dumb criminals see the inside of a courtroom, so maybe Christie is just using her writing to reflect reality.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Bobby and Frankie get only one novel to strut their stuff. But one is better than none.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment