Monday 29 November 2021

Miss Moriarty, I Presume? / Sherry Thomas

3.5 stars

I assume that Sherry Thomas has a plan, because the ending of this installment leaves me with oh so many questions. 

Although I still really enjoyed this book, I didn't find it as riveting as previous volumes. Partly because I was able to predict some of it. And I never thought I would say this, but we got far too much of Charlotte and Ash's sex life. It distracted from the intrigue with Moriarty. It also illustrates how difficult it is to maintain plot tension when the romantic couple achieve coupledom. Suddenly, one of this reader's major motivators is gone.

The reappearance of some earlier characters was welcome, as was Olivia's oblique encounters with her beau, Mr. Marbleton. Her anxiety was contagious, making my chest and throat tighten in sympathy. I guess the romantic plot tension is transferred now to this couple. 

I guess the outcome of all of these musings is that I will be excited to read the next book, although I won't be on the edge of my seat like I was for this one.

As a postscript, isn't that cover gorgeous?

No comments:

Post a Comment