Tuesday 18 June 2019

Storm Cursed / Patricia Briggs

4 stars out of 5
My name is Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman, and I am a car mechanic. And a coyote shapeshifter. And the mate of the Alpha of the Columbia Basin werewolf pack.

Even so, none of that would have gotten me into trouble if, a few months ago, I hadn't stood upon a bridge and taken responsibility for the safety of the citizens who lived in our territory. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. It should have only involved hunting down killer goblins, zombie goats, and an occasional troll. Instead, our home was viewed as neutral ground, a place where humans would feel safe to come and treat with the fae.

The reality is that nothing and no one is safe. As generals and politicians face off with the Gray Lords of the fae, a storm is coming and her name is Death. But we are pack, and we have given our word. We will die to keep it.

Mercy Thompson, the Witchcraft edition

When this book arrived at the library for me, I dropped everything and started to read. These books are always over too quickly and they leave me wanting the next installment NOW. Unfortunately, that’s not how these things work, but judging from the ending, there will be more volumes, so that’s a good thing.

This one had all the urban fantasy goodness--a little less of all the growly werewolves, much more Fae and Vampire fun. Although I have to say, not enough Stefan. Mercy needs to get that relationship mended, because I miss Stefan! Plus, I am intrigued by what happened to Wulfe during this adventure--further details are needed. But the witches & the goblins get front-and-centre roles in this book, something that was a-okay with me.

If you jumped in at this volume (number 11, holy cow), you would wonder what kind of mad-house you had joined. But as we slowly make our way from volume 1 to present, we’ve had time to learn about the Mercy-verse, making all the details seem much less chaotic. Still, if you’re not a die-hard urban fantasy fan, this book is not the book you are looking for.

I note that the next book, Smoke Bitten, will be published next year and there doesn’t seem to be a new volume of the Alpha & Omegaseries anticipated yet. I trust that there will be another one. Between Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews, I spend an awful lot of time on tenterhooks, waiting for the next book to appear. To facilitate smooth publishing schedules, sacrifices to the book gods will obviously be required (see, I’ve learned a thing or two from all those witchy scenes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment