Thursday 27 June 2019

Lord of Chaos / Robert Jordan

4 out of 5 stars
On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world ...

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne -- and where an unexpected visitor may change the world ...

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march ...

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally ...

And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway ...
 

This wasn’t a straight forward read for me--I lost focus somewhere around halfway through the novel and had to go do other things for a while. But having done that, I came back and found the second part of the book to be great. Perhaps it should have been two books, instead of this enormous kitten-squisher.

I continue to be amazed at how many characters Jordan juggles during this series and the level of detail that he goes into. It must have taken incredible patience to write and edit these enormous tomes and his publisher was brave to believe that this many books in a series was a good idea.

Perhaps the second half of the book was more engaging for me because it seemed to feature the female characters a bit more. Egwene is currently my favourite--trying to find her inner viking princess warrior and subdue the Aes Sedai, who actually think that they’re going to control her and her BFFs. Not gonna happen.

I think I’m the same as many folk who read this series in saying that I care about the story and where it’s going, but I’m being driven crazy by the way the characters deal with each other, particularly the male/female dynamic. Rand doesn’t seem quite bright enough to pull off the whole “save the world” thing and if Mat and Perrin are his greatest supports, he is in a bad way. He’d be better off hooking his wagon to that of Elayne, Nyenaeve, and Egwene. 

My plan is to read one more of these books before the end of the year, but it will have to wait awhile. I will need quite a bit of palate cleansing before I proceed on.

Book number 322 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment