Tuesday 12 March 2024

Find Me / Anne Frasiet

 

4 out of 5 stars 

2024 Re-read

I had forgotten that the main character, Reni Fisher, was so focused on birds, an obsession of mine over the years. I'm unsure why I felt the need to read this again, but it was a very strong urge and that may have been a factor. I am bumping the rating from 3 stars up to 4, reasoning that wanting to reread it and reading it just as quickly the second time indicates that I am really engaged with the work.

Reni is the daughter of serial killer Benjamin Fisher, used by him as a lure for his victims while she was a child. A heavy burden to bear and the major reason that she became an FBI agent. A mental episode where she mistakes her partner for her father leads her to retire from the Bureau and retreat to the desert. She is persuaded to assist Agent Daniel Ellis when her father seems willing to give up locations of his victims. Little does she know that Daniel has his own dark history.

If you are curious about nonfiction concerning the families of these murderers, I suggest looking for A Serial Killer's Daughter: My Story of Faith, Love, and Overcoming. Go into it aware, however, that it is truly about the daughter. (She makes it plain that far too many people are way too interested in her father and have completely ignored her.) Also interesting is The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy, a memoir by a woman who was involved with that notorious man. These people are collateral damage in the killers' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment