Wednesday 6 July 2022

The Machine's Child / Kage Baker

 

3 out of 5 stars

Baker has taken this in a direction that I was not expecting, which is delightful. She is setting up a rival to Dr Zeus Company, right under their noses, but undetected. I'm very taken with the possibilities of these details. That balances with one thing that's making me grumpy, namely Mendoza's three men sharing one body, which they access sequentially. Baker has them squabbling over who gets to spend time with their lady-love and I find it annoying. It also bugs me that since Mendoza has been regenerated, no one is being straight with her. I think she should know about her three-in-one lover and more about their plans. Mind you, it seems to be Alec's artificial intelligence that is advocating keeping her in the dark and I'm not understanding his purposes just yet.

Baker keeps tantalizing us with the mysterious date of 2355, where the historical records seem to end and the Silence begins. The conspiracy theories abound about what will happen or what might be possible. I do hope Baker plans to reveal the result and I have no doubt that it will be unexpected. I think all the speculation must be designed to mislead, or at least I hope so. Mendoza and Alec/Edward/Nicholas have been planting vials of nanobots in all kinds of out-of-the-way spots, awaiting the signal from their crafty AI, Captain Morgan.

Although the Captain has been handed a new, complex problem to solve at the end of this book, but being artificial he should be able to handle several tasks at once. I'll return to Mendoza early next year (2023) to continue the tale. Oh, and just an idle observation, but these paperback covers are horrid!

Book Number 463 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment