Monday 30 August 2021

The Twisted Ones / T. Kingfisher

 

4 out of 5 stars

***2021 Dog Days of Summer***

This is the last book of my summer reading project featuring canine companions. I’m so glad that I overcame my usual reluctance to read anything tending towards the horror genre. Kingfisher (actually Ursula Vernon) writes humorous horror that doesn't scare me completely out of my socks and she obviously knows and loves dogs. I also appreciate that I understand her sense of humour, as that's not always a given for me.

Bongo (named after the antelope, not the drum) is a redbone coonhound, big on affection, short on brains. He provides the comic relief all the way through the novel.

"Bongo ... strode out as if we were going for a perfectly normal walk. His ears and tail were still up, though I had had the impression that he was thinking very hard about something (or more accurately, that his nose was thinking very hard about something. Bongo's nose is far more intelligent than the rest of him, and I believe it uses his brain primarily as a counterweight.

It was Bongo who kept me reading (having been assured by a friend that the dog does not die) and he dragged me right to the very end. If you're a fan of the horror genre, you probably won't need this kind of hand-holding in order to enjoy it, but I think you would likely still have fun. My library has two more titles by Kingfisher and after this very positive experience I think I might just borrow them eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment