Thursday 5 September 2024

Dead Man's Folly / Agatha Christie

 

4 out of 5 stars 

Halloween Bingo 2024

This is me being efficient and using my Appointment with Agatha book for this month as a Bingo book as well. This novel was published in the same decade as my last book, Death in Kenya. Both Christie and Kaye could see what their characters refer to as wickedness in the world that results in murder. Just as police know these days, it's usually someone close to the victim who has committed the crime. Plus ça change plus la même chose.

This is one of the better Hercule Poirot novels in my opinion. The little Belgian is actually more humble than usual, a very pleasant change. The addition of Ariadne Oliver was a big plus. Her career as a mystery author often makes her into an alter-ego for Ms. Christie, which makes me laugh—in this book, Christie makes her more scatty than usual. Poirot just prepares to be confused when she struggles to explain the game that she has devised or to answer a question coherently. As Poirot observes at one point, she fills in for Arthur Hastings during this outing. (Where is Hastings, anyway? I've lost track of him.)

All my theories were for naught. Christie fooled me yet again. I am getting used to being wrong repeatedly. I cannot criticize Hastings!

Okay, now the Halloween Bingo machinations: I used The Tell Tale Heart wild card to substitute Christie, a favourite author, for my Day of the Dead square.



No comments:

Post a Comment