Monday 29 April 2024

Towers of Midnight / Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

 

Book number 521 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

3.5 stars

I am closing in on the end of the Wheel of Time. Only one volume left, so it looks like I will conquer it. It has been a long trip. To my way of thinking, having Brandon Sanderson write the final books after Jordan's death has made a definite improvement. There is less emphasis on the irritating characteristics of the main characters and they seem to be behaving in somewhat more rational fashion.

I will say that there are a tremendous number of characters to keep track of and that I can barely remember the events of the first book (which, admittedly, I read back in 2017). But I am curious to see how the series ends who lives, who dies, who wins, who marries, all that jazz. Do Mat and Tuon actually become a true married couple? Does Rand manage to make polygamy a thing? Will Perrin finally admit that he is now a nobleman? Is Lan going to survive to reunite with Nynaeve? Will Egwene and Gawyn make the transition from Aes Sedai and warder to wife and husband?

No doubt the final 900+ page tome will satisfy at least some of my questions. Perhaps I'll wind things up this year, but definitely next year at the latest.



No comments:

Post a Comment