Friday 22 March 2024

The Vampire Knitting Club / Nancy Warren

 

3 out of 5 stars 

Book 9 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

I forget how I originally became attracted to this book, but I purchased it in 2020, so it has been languishing on my shelves for 4 years. Although I'm not sorry that I read it (and spent money on it), I don't believe that I'll be reading further in the series.

This is a not-very-mysterious cozy with a bit of witchcraft and some vampires thrown in. Lucy Swift returns to her grandmother's wool shop, only to find that her gran is dead and Lucy has inherited said shop. And that the shop has been a meeting place for a vampire knitting circle. Now, Lucy can't knit to save her soul, but she decides to re-open the store while she figures out what happened. Of course Gran has joined the ranks of the undead, just to complicate matters. To cap things off, Lucy seems to be exhibiting some witchy powers, including a black kitten familiar.

Some conflict is needed, so we are given a missing grimoire, shifty employees, several break-ins, a persistent estate agent, and two handsome men: Rafe, a vampire, and Ian, a detective (very much alive). To this point, these two guys have just been attentive to Lucy, but there's potential for a full fledged love triangle in future books. Okay, tell a lie, the second book is available as an audiobook through Libby and I could probably withstand one more installment….

Just a note on the publishing—a Google search revealed that they deal with just three authors. It seems to be a case of authors banding together to bring their books to market. Kind of a step above basic self-publishing. I have to say that the cover art is lovely and very appealing.



No comments:

Post a Comment