Monday 11 December 2023

Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone / Benjamin Stevenson

 

4 out of 5 stars

What a relief, to actually enjoy the chosen book for my mystery book club! I couldn't finish last month's book so I'm pleased to find this one more congenial.

Stevenson gives us an interesting narrator, Ernie Cunningham, who writes “how to" guides for aspiring authors. He has particular interest and opinions on mystery books. Before we are introduced to the story, we get a page with the 10 Commandments of Detective Fiction, from the 1930s. Ern reminds us of these rules all the way through the novel. In fact, the bulk of the narration breaks the fourth wall, as Ern addresses the reader, explaining things, justifying things, commenting on things.

Now, the freaky thing for me is that I have Cunningham cousins and they had an Uncle Ern. Ern and his wife separated, she moved away and was murdered (the case went cold & has never been resolved). So this felt kind of like art imitating life in a weird way.

The mystery here is complex with lots of moving parts, I found it challenging to keep up. The family dynamics are both revealing and distracting for both Ern and this reader. Nevertheless, the antics were highly entertaining and I had no difficulties with focus or attention, both things that I have struggled with of late. I was also pleased to comprehend the author's sense of humour, not a given for me. I think that the Canadian and Australian senses of humour must be similar, making it easier for this humour challenged Canuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment