Sunday 18 September 2022

Miss Pym Disposes / Josephine Tey

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

Freshly finished Miss Pym, and I'm still processing exactly what is was that grabbed me so firmly and refused to let me go. Partly, I'm sure, it's because I identify a bit with Miss P. A mature woman who has managed to escape a job that had become unpleasant and has time to do her own thing. Someone who is a talented amateur in the field of psychology. I also confess that I liked the light tone of the first half of the book. It seemed that the most problematic situation would be school gossip.

Then, surprise! Miss Hodge offers the “plum position“ to an unexpected student and the tone turns suddenly dark. There is resentment and outrage, but what could possibly be the outcome of it? Very late in the game (the 88% mark), there is finally a body. So much build up, letting us get to know all the players in the drama. Could one of these young women truly be responsible?

Then, we get to witness Miss Pym's struggle with her conscience. How she wishes that she had left earlier or hadn't gone anywhere near the gymnasium! But, as the old saying goes, man proposes and God disposes. So why does she make the choices that she does? I can follow them emotionally, but she does seem to be taking on God's role in the whole affair. The ending was completely unexpected. Well written, Ms. Tey.

I'm pleased to have finally read this book--it's been one of my Halloween Bingo possibilities for several years. This year, I decided to use my Lottery wild card to convert the Creepy Carnivals square into Dark Academia to accommodate Miss Pym. It was a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment