Monday 16 May 2022

Tempest-Tost / Robertson Davies

 

4.3 stars

The (Mostly) Dead Writers Society Author in Residence program 2022

My introduction to Robertson Davies was his wonderful Fifth Business in an introductory English course during my first year of university, over 40 years ago! I know that I read the Salterton trilogy shortly after concluding the Deptford trilogy and I seem to recall being underwhelmed. What can I say? I was young (about the age of Griselda) and didn't properly appreciate this witty novel.

There is no doubt that this was a first novel, but written by a man who was both an experienced playwright and actor. He has good dramatic timing and doesn't overdo the ridiculous antics of his characters. You can tell this book is written by a man who has daughters. Freddy and Griselda are depicted realistically, with sisterly disdain for one another and behaviour congruent with that of young women of the time (1950s). I must say that I completely understood Freddy's presence at the auction, competing for the box of old books.

This is also an author who has been involved in small town amateur theatre, maybe exaggerating a little for effect, but accurately reflecting the community politics involved in such an endeavour. At this point, Davies’ father was still alive and he apparently was still trying not to be too outrageous. This is a dress rehearsal for The Deptford Trilogy, where he was able to pull out the stops and write the marvelously weird characters that I love him for.

Although I consider his later work to be better than this novel, it is still extremely enjoyable and a very worthwhile read. I'm pleased to be old enough and hopefully wise enough now to truly appreciate this very Canadian book.

No comments:

Post a Comment