Monday 25 April 2022

Spells for the Dead / Faith Hunter

 

3.75 out of 5 stars

2022 Free Range Reading

I had to interlibrary loan this book in order to finish this series. I suppose that Hunter may write more installments, but this one ended on a rather complete note, with Nell's life squared away tidily. I've enjoyed the ride, even if the last couple of books have been just a speck less fun for me. Once Nell and Occam became a couple, the tension went out of the story for me, despite the paranormal investigations, the Church politicking, or the Nicholson family dynamics. Frankly, when Nell became less of a Church woman, I knew she was making personal progress, but she lost some of her zest.

In this book, Nell gets a better handle on her powers and meets an Irish witch who recognizes her species. Unfortunately, this is a ships-in-the-night thing, with the witch moving along before Nell can extract more information. I think her PsyLED manager, FireWind, knows more than he's telling too. But it seems that Nell is teaching herself quite effectively, so perhaps their information isn't as important as I'm thinking it is.

I have relished this foray into recreational reading—books that I'm reading purely because the spirit moved me to. Not part of any plan or list, just plain old book love.

No comments:

Post a Comment