Sunday 20 June 2021

The Seven Dials Mystery / Agatha Christie

 

The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars?

I really don't know what possessed me last night—I went to bed a full hour earlier than usual out of sheer boredom. But that meant I was awake and staring at the ceiling at 5 a.m. Finally, I gave up, got up, put the coffee on, and picked up my Christie book of the month. It was a good choice.

I know that many people aren't thrilled with this particular book, but I really enjoyed it, mostly because I really enjoyed Bundle Brent. She is one of those characters that I think Christie had a wonderful time writing. She has a mind of her own, more intelligence than she lets on, bravery, quick thinking, and a dashing driving style. A thoroughly modern young woman. She often out thinks and surprises the men around her.

I have to confess that I found the ending weak. I can't discuss the details without spoilers, but I just couldn't see Battle sanctioning, let alone participating, in the final revelation. This may be why there are so few novels featuring Superintendent Battle. Christie must have realized that she had rather backed him into a corner, plausibility-wise. I think this was written during a stressful period of the author's life, so it is perhaps understandable that she was more concerned with making a living than with writing a book for the ages.

I must say that I'm sorry that Christie didn't pen more adventures for Bundle. She would have been a much more suitable main character for a series than Battle. I can't see marriage slowing her down, merely giving her a partner in investigative endeavours. Farewell, Lady Eileen! Has any one else taken up the torch and written the further adventures of Lady Eileen (Bundle) Brent?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment