Sunday 29 November 2020

Find Me / Anne Frasier

 

Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)Find Me by Anne Frasier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm struggling with the rating of this book. On the one hand, I felt like the author tipped her hand just a little too obviously. On the other hand, I read it fast and didn't want to stop. Also, I'm starting to wrestle with the issue of fiction glorifying serial murders and the people who commit them. I feel somewhat guilty that I enjoy this genre, but I also think that it doesn't hurt anyone if I like it. Something that I'm going to have to work out for myself, I guess.

I guess we are all amateur psychologists, attempting to understand those around us. And because we value being able to predict the behaviour of others and understand their motivations, I think we fixate on people who behave in antisocial ways. It's kind of like rubber necking to see a car accident--we're attempting to learn from the misfortune of others and avoid it ourselves. If I can just spot the dangerous person, I can get away unscathed, goes the reasoning. At least I think that what motivates me.

I loved the desert setting that Frasier uses here. Maybe this harks back to my teenage years of reading Zane Grey. I haven't personally spent much time in desert habitats, I'm a grassland girl. But I have to agree with the main character Reni when she says, “I cope by looking up and out. That's where I find help. Nature never lets me down.” Birds have always been my thing and there are very few places on Earth where you can be outside and not see a bird pretty quickly.

I'm going to give this 3 stars, but that's just my feeling about my reading experience today. I think I might have rated it more highly if I'd read it several years ago.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment