Wednesday 2 October 2019

Days of Air and Darkness / Katharine Kerr

3 out of 5 stars
The city of Cengarn is under siege. Armies both astral and physical are massing for and against the goddess Alshandra, who seeks to prevent the birth of one fate-bound child. It falls to the dweomermaster Jill and her allies to protect the child's human mother, Princess Carra--and Deverry's already foretold future--by magic and by might. But as the warrior Rhodry wings toward the battle on dragonback, he cannot know that soon he will face his ancient enemy, Alshandra's high priestess Raena, who will use any means to destroy him. Their confrontation could turn the tide of the siege--and change the fate of Deverry forever.

This is a very odd series, just for the combination of features that the author uses. Celtic history and language used in a rather realistic way, but liberally salted with Magic, the ethereal plain and it’s otherworldly beings, and now Dragons. I have a difficult time knowing what to write about because of this scattering of elements.

I find some of the dialog tiring because of the way that Kerr phrases it. I realize that she has chosen her form of “Bygone-ese” and is sticking with it, but I find it gets in my way while I’m reading. Your mileage may vary.

I must admit, however, that I find Rhodry’s strategy when partnered with his dragon in battle was ingenious (and as realistic as possible regarding dragons). This despite admitting that I don’t really like Rhodry much as a character, which is a bit dismaying since he’ll be continuing on in the next book and Jill won’t be. Not that I was entirely sold on her either, mind you.

I’m not sure why this series makes me a bit cranky, but it does. I’ve already purchased the next two volumes from my used book store, so I’m pretty sure that I’ll read them, but prepare yourself for more whining when I actually do.

Book number 327 in my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment