Thursday 11 July 2019

A Study in Emerald / Neil Gaiman

3.5 stars out of 5
This supernatural mystery set in the world of Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos features a brilliant detective and his partner as they try to solve a horrific murder.

The complex investigation takes the Baker Street investigators from the slums of Whitechapel all the way to the Queen's Palace as they attempt to find the answers to this bizarre murder of cosmic horror!


***The Summer of Sherlock 2019*** 

3.5 stars

I didn’t read any of the available information on this graphic novel, choosing instead to go in relatively blind and see where it took me. I was entertained. A fun mash-up of the Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu stories of Conan Doyle and Lovecraft respectively. 

This is an interesting alternate historical timeline and I’m hoping maybe that Mr. Gaiman may be convinced to produce another volume and move the story along? 

I note that neither the Holmes-like character nor the Watson-like one are actually named in this version. In fact, there is a reference to a limping Doctor named Watson at some point, leading me to believe that Holmes & Watson are out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

I love the artwork in this one, especially the depictions of the two main characters. I will look for more work produced by these artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment