Tuesday 14 November 2017

To Green Angel Tower / Tad Williams

4 out of 5 stars
As the evil minions of the undead Sithi Storm King prepare for the kingdom-shattering culmination of their dark sorceries and King Elias is drawn ever deeper into their nightmarish, spell spun world, the loyal allies of Prince Josua desperately struggle to rally their forces at the Stone of Farewell. And with time running out, the remaining members of the now devastated League of the Scroll have also gathered there to unravel mysteries from the forgotten past in an attempt to find something to strike down their unslayable foe.

But whether or not they are successful, the call of battle will lead the valiant followers of Josua Lackhand on a memorable trek to the haunted halls of Asu'a itself - the Sithi's greatest stronghold.


A satisfying ending to an engaging trilogy. I can see why this final tome was originally published in two parts—it was a definite door-stop! I sprained my wrist two years ago, and I found that old injury aching at the end of lengthy reading sessions!

However, the size of the volume was necessary in order to tie up the many, many loose ends from the first two books. I especially appreciated the return of “Rachel the Dragon” as an honoured elder lady, even as I grieved the loss of other characters. I also have to say that I appreciated the focus on Miriamele, despite the fact that she often came across as spoiled and irrational. I was able to endure that portrayal because Simon was often angry and petulant for no particular reason that I could discern either. Equal opportunity bad behaviour!

I appreciated that Osten Ard was not just a clone of Middle Earth. Williams gave the world his own structure and rules, and created unique creatures and challenges for his characters. I really liked the ending--it worked for me. I always feel the tug of emotion as the war ends and the circle of friends must split up to return to their own lives—happy to get back to normal, sad to be parted.

Book number 267 in my Science Fiction & Fantasy reading project.

4 comments:

  1. Did you like the trilogy enough to think about reading his sequel trilogy when it is finished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could certainly be convinced, Bookstooge. But my To Read list is so long, it may take me a while. BTW, nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I never got notified of your comment. I go back and forth logins with wordpress and blogger and they just never really play well together.

      Anyway. I'm going to wait to see how the whole sequel trilogy is received. I felt very burned on his last tetralogy, as I followed it book by book and it was too dark for me.

      I've got your blog in my wordpress feed now, but i've also got manuel antao from booklikes, and wordpress seems to be a bit picky. Which means that I'll be popping in from time time, but probably a bit late :-)

      That, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be using blogger or wordpress. Does one work better or easier for you?

      Delete
    2. I have only used Blogger so far and I'm not a very sophisticated user of it.

      Delete