Monday 22 August 2016

Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men / Molly Harper

3.5 out of 5 stars
With her best friend Zeb’s Titanic-themed wedding looming ahead, new vampire Jane Jameson struggles to develop her budding relationship with her enigmatic sire, Gabriel. It seems unfair that she’s expected to master undead dating while dealing with a groom heading for a nuptial nervous breakdown, his hostile werewolf in-laws, and the ugliest bridesmaid dress in the history of marriage.

Meanwhile, the passing of Jane’s future step-grandpa puts Grandma Ruthie back on the market. Her new fiancé, Wilbur, has his own history of suspiciously dead spouses, and he may or may not have died ten years ago. Half-Moon Hollow’s own Black Widow has finally met her match.

Should Jane warn her grandmother of Wilbur’s marital habits or let things run their course? Will Jane always be an undead bridesmaid, never the undead bride?


I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as book 1. Still a very enjoyable read and came very close to being as much fun as the first book.

I have to laugh at Jane’s mother and grandmother who both seem to believe that marriage and children are the only worthwhile things in a woman’s life. I’ve had to put up with a fair bit of that attitude myself and I love that Jane’s not taking it sitting down. On this note, I loved the Titanic themed wedding planned by Jolene, Zeb’s fiancée. I only hope that the marriage doesn’t suffer the same fate as the ship.

I also appreciate the circle of friends that Jane is building
although I wish that her new bookstore boss hadn't died so soon.
  I get a kick of out of her vampire buddy Dick Cheney (much less scary that the politician) and I have a hunch that there are more werewolves in Jane’s future. Looking forward to some more information on Gabriel, who is acting entirely too much like human males do with his disappearing and refusal to talk about certain subjects, like where he’s been. Frankly, Dick may be the one on the sketchy side of the law, but he is seeming like the more honest guy.

Unfortunately, the “mystery” of what is wrong with her BFF Zeb is overly transparent and Jane’s brainy-girl status is threatened by not putting the pieces together quicker. I’m still enjoying the snarky dialog, but it will get tiring in the third book if the plot doesn’t move along a little quicker.

Still, a very cute series. My problem may be that I’ve read books 1 & 2 too close together. I’ve got a little late summer urban fantasy extravaganza planned, but I’ll leave Harper’s books out of that mix for the time being. I really want to keep on enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment